The Ultimate List of Inspirational Travel and Sailing Quotes
Two years ago, when Jonathan and I were still broke backpackers, he told me about how he dreams of sailing the open seas – that someday, he would buy himself a boat. Live in it. And travel around the world with it. And you guessed right; he sure did buy us a sail boat.
This sailboat is actually a yacht which we named the S/V Empress. A truly deserved name for a 40ft. 1971 Finnrose. Perfect for cruising across the globe to fulfill that luxurious dream we’ve always dreamt about. But if you’re curious about the name, why Empress? Well, it “ruled” the ocean waves for four (4) decades and is still working perfectly - just like an empress!
We renovated the interior, designed, and cleaned it ourselves to make it decent enough to live in. Jonathan dealt with the technicalities and is still making extra adjustments to it as I travel to Africa. Once, it’s fixed - Jonathan and I will finally travel the world with our classy mobile home in the sea.
There are a lot of things to take in before you travel around the globe with a sailboat – First, you conquer the great tides; Second, you don’t know what awaits you in the vast oceans and seas; Third, you must have great responsibility and knowledge of the technicalities (like maneuvering the boat) – so, I suggest you take sailing lessons beforehand. Of course, you have to buy yourself a boat or yacht. Save up for it for who knows how long until you can actually buy it! Trust me; it really feels fulfilling once you achieve something you’ve always longed for through hard work and patience.
As we get ready to upgrade our mobile lifestyle via sailing – we constantly inspire ourselves together with sailing quotes that motivate us in fixing our sailboat “Empress” as quick as we can to fulfill that dream of ours. If you’re the kind person who also dreams of sailing across oceans and seas but is afraid of what awaits you – then stop over thinking and ponder over these must-read sailing quotes instead!
Back in the years, Jonathan and I left our jobs, without knowing what lies ahead of us – we only focused on the present and what we want to do with our lives. Neither of us wants to live a life full of regrets. We sold off our possessions and we sailed beyond the employee life to traveling around the world. We individually made every moment in this lifetime worth to treasure. We focused more about living in the now and not the future and it’s all with the help of these inspiring sailing quotes.
From our penniless backpacking adventure to our soon-to-be luxury sailing, that’s where we are now. If you continue dreaming and not act on it, it will only be stuck in a dream and you will be filled with what if’s in your life in the years to come. However, if you keep challenging your dreams and making it a reality, that would make your life worthwhile. Plus, it would be a great story to share with your grandkids in the future!
Here is the list of sailing quotes that will have you set before your sailing rendezvous:
1. “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for” – John A. Shedd
2. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
3. “The days pass happily with me wherever my ship sails.” – Joshua Slocum
4. “The sea is the same as it has been since before men ever went on it in boats.”- Ernest Hemingway“
5. The art of the sailor is to leave nothing to chance.” -Annie Van De Wiele
6. “He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea.” – Dr. Thomas Fuller
7. “It isn’t that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.” -Sir Francis Drake
8. “Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.” -Charles G. Davis
9. “When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.”- Dr. Samuel Johnson
10. “The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. “The sea hates a coward.”- Eugene O’Neill
12. “Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.” -Buzzy Trent
13. “There is but a plank between a sailor and eternity.” – Thomas Gibbons
14. "A man is never lost at sea." - Ernest Hemingway
15. "To be successful at sea we must keep things simple." - Pete Culler
16. "At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much." - Robin Graham
17. "The goal is not to sail the boat, but rather to help the boat sail herself." - John Rousmaniere
18. "The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen
19. "Though is the wind, knowledge the sail, and mankind the vessel" - Augustus Hare
20. "A sailor is an artist whose medium is the wind." - Webb Chiles
21. "I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea." - Alaine Gerbault
22. "Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit." - Brooks Atkinson
23. "There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea." - Joseph Conrad
24. “To reach a port we must set sail –Sail, not tie at anchor. Sail, not drift.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
25. “I can't control the wind but I can adjust the sail.” ― Ricky Skaggs
26. “You haven't lived until you've sailed” ― David Sedaris, Theft by Finding: Diaries
27. “On a day when the wind is perfect, the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty.” - Rumi
28. “The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator." - Edmund Gibbon
29. “If my ship sails from sight, it doesn't mean my journey ends, it simply means the river bends.” - Enoch Powell
30. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!