7 Ways To Prove Rootedness or "Deep Ties" In Your Country For Visa Applications: Guide and Tips for Filipinos

One of the very important things that the Consul will look for in your visa application is your deep-rootedness in your country. Deep-rootedness is defined in the dictionary as deeply rooted; firmly implanted or established. So the question now is: How do you prove that you are firmly established in your home country?

I always suggest that you write a very detailed cover letter whenever you send your application, yes the consuls accept and read it esp. for UK, Schengen, Australia or Canada visa applications.

7 Ways To Prove Deep-Rootedness or Deep Ties In Your Country For Visa Applications

We have another question to answer this question: What can you do to prove to the Consul that you will not work illegally in their country, violate their laws, and deplete their resources? That’s the situation that they’re trying to avoid. Hence the visa requirement and the tedious visa process, especially for us from 3rd world countries. But don’t worry because I’m here to answer these :)

1) Show them what you got!

You have to show them proof of your financial capacity to prove that you are capable of going to and from their country and you have enough resources to pay for the necessary living expenses. You can prove it by submitting your Bank Statement or Bank Certificate which shows that you have enough money in your bank account. Note that these are two different things and some Embassies require both.

You can also submit Credit Card Statements but do this only when you have a good credit standing with your banK.

Here are 7 Practical Tips On How To Have The Right Amount Of Show Money. Make sure to read this too!

2) Attach documents of Proof of Ownership of Properties that you have

This can include Land Title, Car Registration, and/or Stock Certificate. If you do not have any, relax. This isn’t mandatory! :) This only proves how ‘financially capable’ you are since you were able to purchase these valuable things.

If you're young (early 20s) then it's not expected that you already own properties, you can show proof of apartment rental agreement instead. 

3) Submit Proof of Income

7 Ways To Prove Deep-Rootedness or Deep Ties In Your Country For Visa Applications

A steady source of income is very important. This will make them think that you don’t need to find a job abroad since you’re earning enough in your home country. These documents could vary depending on your source of income:

  • For those employed- You can submit Certificate of Employment from your employer which would indicate your position in the company and your monthly salary as well as your Income Tax Return.

  • If you own a business- Attach your Business Registration and Income Tax Return.

  • For Digital Nomads who doesn’t have an Income Tax Return- You can submit online transactions using the freelancing websites together with your Paypal Transaction or Bank History with your employer/ clients.

  • For Students - a supporting letter from your parents and their bank statements could suffice.

4) Prove that you’re doing something “worthwhile” in your country

7 Ways To Prove Deep-Rootedness or Deep Ties In Your Country For Visa Applications

With “worthwhile” I mean that you are doing something in your country which keeps you busy that you don’t even have the intention to find a job in their country illegally. This could include studying, volunteering at a non-profit organization, or training under a company.

For students, you can submit Proof of Enrolment and a Copy of your School ID. For volunteers and those under training, then you may attach a Certificate attesting such fact.

5) Attach an Affidavit of Support, if necessary

If you do not have any source of income or if you think it is not enough, then you may submit a Notarized Affidavit of Support from your parents or from anyone who can financially support your trip be it your relative or employer. You should also submit their Proof of Financial Capacity.

This way, they will know that somebody else is paying for your trip so they wouldn’t take it against you if you’re unemployed or you don’t have much financially.

6) Submit your PRC ID / Professional ID

Your PRC ID will indicate that you took the necessary education, passed the national exam, and proves that you are professional in a certain field. This will erase all doubts that you plan to work illegally since you’re already well-established in your country.

Don't think that being a NURSE, DOCTOR or DENTIST will be a liability for your visa application. Everyone knows that you need to study and be certified again to practice in your field if you will go to these western countries which you can't do if you're on a tourist visa. So, they'll know that you'll return to your country since you're already a respected Professional there.

(Note: This situation is different if you're planning to go to the Middle East)

7) Authenticate these documents with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) or in the Philippines Embassy near you.

7 Ways To Prove Deep-Rootedness or Deep Ties In Your Country For Visa Applications

For Filipinos, we have the DFA Red Ribbon Certification. Having a DFA Red Ribbon Certification only means that the DFA scrutinized your document and found them to be authentic (bawal ang fake documents sa visa application haha). Another thing is that once you show the Consul this document, he/she will assume that it is authentic on its face.

The ff. documents can be authenticated:

1. Police Clearance

2. NBI Clearance

3. Barangay Certification with Mayor’s Certification

4. PSA issued documents in Security Paper

5. Affidavits of Employment, Training/Seminars, and Baptism/Confirmation with Regional Trial Court (RTC) Certification

6. Other Notarized Documents (Special Power of Attorney, Affidavit of Support and Guarantee, Consent, etc.) with RTC Certification

7. Medical Certifications authenticated by Department of Health (DOH)

8. Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Documents

9. Land Transportation Office (LTO) License Certification (issued by LTO main office only)

10. Foreign documents authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate or documents authenticated by Foreign Embassies/Consulate Generals based in the Philippines

11. School Records (Transcript of Records, Diploma, Form 137, etc.) with CHED, TESDA, or DEPED Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV)

12. School Records with CAV issued by State Colleges and Universities

Having ANY of these documents will already remove any doubt about you overstaying/illegally working in their country. What more if you have most of it, right? That means higher chances of visa approval!

Hope this helps! Good luck on your visa application :)


1) Is it suggested to authenticate all the documents that I’m going to submit?

No. I suggest you authenticate your Notarized Affidavit of Support if you have any. If you have extra money, then you can also authenticate your Birth Certificate and/or Marriage Certificate.

2) How much do I pay for the Red Ribbon Authentication?

It’s PHP100 for Regular Processing which takes two working days and 200 for Rush Processing which takes one working day.

3) What do I need to bring the Red Ribbon Authentication?

Yourself! Haha. Just kidding. Bring the documents that you need to authenticate together with the supporting documents required by the DFA. Also, bring a valid ID. Don’t forget to dress up properly too-- closed shoes/decent sandals and cover yourself. Otherwise, they won’t even let you in.

4) Where can I get my documents authenticated?

  • DFA Main Office- Radco Avenue corner Macapagal Boulevard, Aseana Business Park, Barangay Tambo Parañaque

  • DFA NCR North East- Ali Mall Government Center Level 2, Ali Mall Cubao, Quezon City

  • DFA NCR East- 7th Floor, Building C, SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City

  • DFA NCR West- 5th Floor, SM City Manila

  • DFA NCR South- 4th Floor, Metro Alabang Town Center

If you're based abroad then bring it to the nearest Philippines Embassy.