Techni Ice: Do We Really Need Ice On The Boat?
DO WE REALLY NEED ICE ON THE BOAT?
The answer is an ice cold YES! Having ice on the boat is a necessity more than a luxury. We use it to stay hydrated & make fruit shakes under the sizzling hot weather and to keep our food fresh, especially the meat. Since we’re living on a sailboat, Jonathan and I would want to go on fishing and you all know how important it is keep the freshly caught fish in a tub of ice. Emergency situations also call for the use of ice as it can reduce swelling and pain.
Generally, ice is very important in our very lives. Sometimes, we just don’t realize it because it is readily available. I didn’t realize its importance until we started living on the sailboat and found the need for it every now and then.
ABOUT TECHNI ICE AND THEIR PRODUCTS
Established in 1984 as a division of Global National Australia Group of Companies and nearly after a decade of research and development into long-lasting reusable refrigerant technology, Techni Ice released the first Techniice Reusable Dry Gel Icepacks to the world market which now serve as a key element in the cold chain industry.
For a company that has been in the business for 28 years, you are assured that their products are made from the finest and best materials available. Millions of their products have been independently tested by the most demanding customers and were very much satisfied.
OUR TECHNI ICE SIGNATURE ICE CHEST 60L
On board our S/V Empress is the Techni Ice Signature Ice Chest 60L. If you’re searching for the best ice box with outstanding ice keeping ability and structural strength, this one is for you.
This model has 74mm walls that is more than twice as thick as most polyethylene ice boxes, and much thicker than fiberglass ice boxes. The huge lid and walls are injected under extreme pressure with highest quality high-density multi compound PU insulation.
It incorporates a fully molded and integrated hinge system designed to last for a lifetime whether you use it for commercial purposes. It has a Dual Air Lock Seal System which provides a perfect seal at virtually all ambient temperatures.
4 sturdy feet are provided that allow 360-degree air circulation which provides a cool thermal air barrier both under and around the box so it can be put on hot ground surfaces without affecting the performance of the box through rising heat under the box.
PROS OF HAVING A TECHNI ICE SIGNATURE ICE CHEST ON THE BOAT
1. It saved us A LOT of money- Just so you know, a bag of ice in Boot Key where our boat is docked is USD 5 per pack. That’s a lot of money. And more often than not, we don’t need a lot of it and everything just melts. (Imagine having to spend 5 USD everyday for ice??) With our Techni Ice Signature Ice Chest, one bag of ice could last for 7 days!
2. It keeps our food fresh and our drinks cold- It’s important to keep our food fresh, especially the meat. Having this ice chest guarantees that we can have an ice cold drink in the humid Florida weather and the freshest food.
3. We will always have ice for emergency purposes- Accidents can happen anytime. It’s a relief that we now have ice readily available
4. It is durable- Just by looking at the structure, the design, as well as the materials used, I can really say that this ice chest is built to last.
5. It is well sealed- Ice can be retained for as long as 7 days but the ice box stays cold for more than a week. True to their words, it definitely stays colder longer.
6. It’s worth it- The price is cheaper than other ice boxes in the market but the quality is not compromised. Some reviews claim it’s even better than the leading brand!
CONS OF HAVING A TECHNI ICE SIGNATURE ICE CHEST ON THE BOAT
1. It’s heavy- But with it’s built-in wheels, moving it around is never a problem.
That’s probably the only negative thing I can say about our Techni Ice Signature Ice Chest. I suggest you purchase the white one. It keeps ice up to 20% longer than coloured ones due to their ability to reflect more heat :)
Overall, we are satisfied with our Techni Ice Signature Ice Chest and to have ice readily available despite living on our floating home. This is one of the few luxuries that we usually take for granted/don’t notice while we have it readily accessible. Haha. (I have so many realizations since we started this live-aboard life! I appreciate small things better now).
Note: We were provided with this product for review, however, all views and opinions are my own! =)
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!