Living without a fridge in the middle of a harbour isn’t that hard, but it can be a bit tricky when you’re so used to having one. For more than a month, Jonathan kept very little food on board and wasn’t eating regular meals because of it so he lost a lot of weight.
The ability to be able to easily store food on board was clearly going to be very important, so when looking for the refrigeration we had to consider; how much capacity for long journeys; our power consumption; and whether we wanted to go with portable or built-in. To refrigerate our existing built-in icebox would take more work, but would give us a lot of cold storage without compromising on space.
On the other hand, a portable unit would be easier to install, easy to move around and would probably be more efficient. Having weighed up all of the different angles and information, we decided to go with both - A portable unit to begin with, followed by installing a compressor on our ice box at a later date. This way, we will always have the best of both worlds and if we don’t want to power both of them, then we can simply use one of them for ambient food storage.
ABOUT DOMETIC AND THEIR PRODUCTS
‘Mobile living made easy’-- that’s what Dometic stand by in creating products that are innovative and useful wherever you may be. They likewise stand by Sustainability where they combine profitability with social and environmental responsibility thereby contributing to a better world.
All of it could perfectly fit in your sailboats, campervans, trucks, etc., so you won’t have to compromise mobility with functionality. It makes your mobile living feel like you’re in the comforts of your own home.
OUR PRODUCTS FROM DOMETIC
With the humidity in Florida Keys, especially inside the sailboat, having a cold drink is a luxury. We personally own a Dometic Cold Machine CU 84 and a Dometic CFX 65W Portable Refrigerator and really, grabbing a cold drink in such a hot day from this portable fridge became one of the simplest things in life that make me happy.
The Dometic Cold Machine CU 84 Compressor is a professional cooling unit. It is designed for small and medium refrigerators up to 250 l and for use in warm waters. The stainless steel mounting plate offers durability while its powerful yet quiet operation will ensure you are not disturbed.
- Dimensions product depth 5 1/16 "
- Dimensions product height 6 4/16 "
- Dimensions product width 15 3/16 "
- Net weight 13.23 lbs
- Rated input power (DC) 45 W
- Input voltage (DC) 12/24 V
- Refrigerant 1, type R134a
- EAN-13 4015704257274
- Dimensions parcel depth 6 11/16 "
- Dimensions parcel height 7 13/16 "
- Dimensions parcel width 16 14/16 "
- Parcel weight 15.44 lbs
The Dometic CFX 65W Portable Refrigerator/Freezer can refrigerate or deep-freeze food down to -7°F without the need for ice. The CFX Series models are also fitted with heavy-duty features like reinforced corners, stainless steel hinges, and a robust lining to perform in the most extreme conditions. The CFX 65W includes WIFI capabilities allowing temperature control and monitoring from the Dometic CFX app. It is high quality, powerful, economical, and ensures a quiet performance.
- SKU number 9105306635
- Model CFX65W
- Model on label CFX65W
- Scope of delivery 1 cooler, 1 manual, 1 AC cable, 1 DC cable
- Refrigeration technology Compressor
- Product Description Portable refrigerator - Holds 106 cans, 2.2 cu. Ft. Capacity with WIFI Capabilities
- US Item Name CFX-65W
- Dimensions product depth 17.9133955 "
- Dimensions product height 22.0866261 "
- Dimensions product width 28.5433225 "
- Gross volume (DIN15502) 65.00 l
- Net weight 49.16308398 lbs
- Input voltage (AC) 120 V
- Input frequency 50/60 Hz
- Rated input current (AC) 0.83 A
- Rated input current (DC) 8.2 A
- Input voltage (DC) 12/24 V
- Refrigerant 1, type R134a
- Energy consumption (DC@5/32°C) 0.75 kWh/24h
- Noise (DIN60704-1 & 60704-2-14) 42.00 dB(A)
- Climate class (DIN15502) N/T
- Average energy consumption at AC (DIN15502) 0.19 kWh/24h
- Interior light Yes, LED
- Color Smokey Gray
- Certificates UL
- EAN-13 713814218959
- Dimensions parcel depth 30.0393863 "
- Dimensions parcel height 23.9370208 "
- Dimensions parcel width 19.6063098 "
- Parcel weight 12.56634882 lbs
PROS OF HAVING A DOMETIC PORTABLE REF/FREEZER AND COMPRESSOR ON OUR SAILBOAT
1. It doesn’t take up that much space- Our Empress is a 37 ft Finnrose boat but was extended by 3 inches (that makes her 40!). She is our home.. And like all homes, we have our toilet, bedroom, galley, and all else, so we really can’t afford to bring ‘big things’ on board. This refrigerator fits perfectly in our small space. I mean we had to sacrifice some space for it but having fresh food on the table is very important. It also comes in different sizes, so you’ll definitely find one which would perfectly fit on your sailboat, campervan, or any mobile home!
2. We have fresh food on the go- Sailors eat 3x a day too! And now that I’m focusing on being a housewife, I’m just starting to learn how to cook (And I’m already 28! Haha! It’s never too late to learn :p). With our refrigerator, our meat stays fresh and our drink stays cold. I can now cook delicious and healthy meals for Jonathan. No more canned goods for me and the captain! :)
3. It gets cold fast despite the outside temperature- Depending on how many liters of water we stored, I think it gets cold fast in a little over an hour. Not bad at all for a portable freezer!
4. It’s quiet- It doesn’t make any sound that you wouldn’t even notice that it’s there at all.
5. It can operate on solar power- Our source of power now is from a solar panel and we’re really glad that it works perfectly with it!
CONS OF HAVING A DOMETIC PORTABLE REF/FREEZER AND COMPRESSOR ON OUR SAILBOAT
1. It’s a little heavy- It’s not a major issue but it’s hard to move it around because of its weight. It would probably better if it has wheels on it too. :p
2. It’s pricey- Compared to other portable refrigerators and compressors out in the market, the price is a little high. But it’s one of the best brands out there, so it’s another case of ‘get what you pay for!’
The overall quality and performance of our Dometic Ref/Freezer and Compressor is beyond excellent. Despite its weight and bulk, we are happy to have it on board! :)
Note: We were provided with this product for review, however, all views and opinions are my own! =)
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!